The Rotunda originally served as a library and classroom space upon its completion in 1828. However, a devastating fire in 1895 destroyed much of the building. The rebuilding process was entrusted to the prominent New York firm of McKim, Mead, and White. During the remodeling, architect Stanford White made significant changes to the Rotunda’s design, including removing the floor and expanding the dome room. However, in the 1970’s the Rotunda was restored to its original three-story layout with rooms arranged according to Jefferson’s plans. In 1976, the Rotunda was reopened in time to host a luncheon for Queen Elizabeth II during the bicentennial celebrations of the United States. In 2016 the Rotunda reopened after a multi-year major renovation that restored and upgraded many parts of the building. Today, the Rotunda appears much as it did in Jefferson’s time.